The Dog is the Thing.......

                                     
I know I’m about to APPEAR insensitive, but here me out first, I think I have a valid point.

 So we have all heard of seeing Eye Dogs, and know the benefits they bring. I wonder if we are all aware of Hearing Ear Dogs?

Here is What I found out about hearing ear dogs:

For a person who is hearing impaired, the feeling of vulnerability and isolation can be overwhelming. A Hearing Dog is a dedicated assistant to such people — He will alert his master to important sounds, such as the sounds of a baby's cry, the telephone ringing, a knock at the door, an alarm clock, a kettle whistle, in addition to such danger signals as the sound of a smoke alarm, burglar alarm, or even the rustling of a prowler, by leading the owner. (ok say maybe not in the case of the prowler, but you get the idea.) These dogs provide a sense of security, independence, and of course companionship to their human partners. They proudly wear their working vests and enjoy the same public access rights as Guide Dogs for the blind.

So in understanding that, do you think the dog is required for going to get a pizza or go to the gym?

This is where my problem lies.

I am aware of, and have witnessed the use of, such a dog while ordering a pizza and going to the gym. This person has been deaf for much longer than he has had a dog. He drives and ordered his pizzas perfectly well before he had the dog. But let me explain a bit more. When ordering the pizza, the dog sits on the floor. While the pizza is cooking the dog sits on the floor. When the pizza is ready and it is brought to the counter, the owner can see, and the dog sits on the floor. While the owner eats, the dog sits on the floor. The only time the dog moves, is when it’s time to leave. So what is the common denominator here?

The dog sits on the floor.

This has happened on MANY occasions, each result being the same. As for the gym, a friend of mine saw him in the gym with the dog. The dog laid on the floor, and actually sniffed at my friend. The owner has a special trainer that knows sign language. So unless the dog is spotting him while he does lifts or presses, what is the purpose? The trainer can alert of any danger.

 What I’m getting at here is, where do you draw the line between being useful, and abusing a law. Yes the dog has the same rights as Seeing Eye dogs, and justly so, but situations should dictate, in at least some regard, if the presence of the dog is appropriate. There should be a need for the dog to be there.

Many people simply say nothing, as they do not want to offend the owner, or start anything that may be obscurely viewed as discriminatory.

This is really a smaller issue of a larger matter of handicaps being exploited because they can be. I could get into other things, but that is for another day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As I am the friend big t mentioned in this blog I thought I'd give my 2 cents. The dog sniffing my leg was a startling action. I was in my workout zone, squatting a very large amount of weight. Luckily I was resting between sets. But think of this, I typically squat 90 lbs plus the weight of the bar. Putting the weight back on the rack I sometimes drop the bar into the holder. What would happen if this scared the dog and he attacked me? What if my heavy breathing made him think I was going to attack and he came at me while I was lifting and I hurt myself? Would we blame the owner? Probably not. There is no need for the dog to be in the gym. Period.
Anonymous said…
Ok tony and Ryan, if the dog is at the gym who says he's going to attack or bite you they are trained not too! So let's review the dog sits at the gym and while his master is getting pizza, it could be worse be could be crapping on the floor or barking his head off, but your mad cause the dog sits there waiting to be needed, wow what a bad working dog!!! Now I assume the man drives to the gym as well as Greco for pizza ( which as you stated the dog is needed to drive) what do you suppose he do with the dog while he eats pizza and goes to the gym? Leave the dog in the car so it can die from the intense heat in the car! Or tie him up outside so it can bark its head off! Yeah cause that's much better! Perhaps you should speak to the jerk in the office who approved the membership and allowed the dog in the first place without putting in a corral! Or the guy at the pizza place who would rather bitch about it than ask the guy to take his animal outside! Perhaps it's a better idea to just accept it and move on!
Anonymous said…
i would say the dog would not be necessary in the situations you describled, however when he is on his way there or leaving or out and about with his other daily tasks then the dog would be useful, hence the dog being with him in there aswell.
Anonymous said…
I wonder if the pizza joint all of a sudden cleared out and the deaf person was intent on eating his pizza or was in the bathroom at the time and didn't notice...because the alarm bells were going off due to a fire...the deaf person didn't have his dog what do you think would happen....really....this line of thought pisses me off. It lacks empathy for the deaf person...I'm not sure what in life I would miss if I was not able to hear but the dogs are there for that persons saftey.
Anonymous said…
I find it interesting how Anthony has not responded to any of these comments :) I agree with most of you btw and am rather disturbed by your lack of... Let's call it perspective Anthony.
Anthony Arsenault said…
Its actually perspective that made me post in the first place. I think it is important to question these things. It should not be assumed that everything is ok, if as human beings we see something we don't agree with, it should be questioned. I'm. It saying I'm right or wrong? It's my opinion. You may change my mind with your views, you may not. Calling me out isn't the answer. I didn't respond because it is a very touchy subject, and I felt no further offending of people was required.

Popular posts from this blog

Another Teacher...... Another Rant. Justice Served?

An Update on Yours Truly