School Time Blues

The first day of school is fast approaching. Kids are wrapping up summer, and adults are eagerly looking forward to some much earned peace and quiet. While I am in semi-agreement with these other parents, I have my own worries about the first day of school.


Mostly that my son Julian is starting primary, and he is likely at a grade 2 level as far as his education. Let me go back a bit, so you understand what I’m saying.

It was very apparent to us that Julian was smart from the beginning. We really began to see this develop when he was 7 months old and took a great interest in books. 2 years ago, we decided when Julian was 3, to begin his studies early. Like every parent, we heard news stories about how young kids are not up to par and that our education system seemed to be failing them. Personally I never attested that to be the fault of the paid educators, but rather the parents. We decided that we didn’t want to be part of the problem, but part of the solution. Looking back, I wonder if this was maybe an error on our part.

When I say error, I don’t mean that we made a mistake in educating him ourselves, but maybe we were a little too hard core about it. We are headed now to a point where he is going into a primary class that he likely won’t be interested in because the content is too easy for him. Really, what can a primary class hold for a kid who knew all his primary colors and shapes at age 3, and now at age 5 can read, write and spell? I am a bit reluctant to try and have him advanced, but I fear that if I don’t, he will act out his frustration, and I have spent enough time in the principal’s office as a child myself, I don’t really want to be there because of him.

We still haven’t decided what to do, It is a difficult job being the parents of a child prodigy. Others have often joked, calling him Doogie Howser (google it if you don’t know) and saying he will graduate university at the age of 15. I hope that these things happen. He certainly has the potential. It seems like he uses twice as much of his brain as the typical 5 yr old.

This isn’t just a proud father bragging, but of course I am proud. Those who have met him will attest to his level of intelligence. I find it ironic however, as most parents wish to have a child who is intelligent, but it becomes a bit difficult to deal with once that child interacts with his or her peers in a social setting.

I suppose all I can do is continue to nurture him. I certainly want the best for him, and would never stifle him in any way. I suppose I could have worse things to worry about :)

Comments

tiggy00 said…
Hey Tony, don't worry about it too much. Julia is 3, going on 4 now. She recognizes words, spells her own name as well as others, loves to help read and knows her alphabet and numbers. This is mostly through her own curiosity. We're not too worried about when it comes time for school as it will be the social aspect of it that will keep her busy. I would look at it the same way for Julian. Just keep an eye on the first year and how things are going by Christmas and then talk to the teachers to see what they think. Good Luck.
Scott Arsenault said…
I cannot help but agree that Julian is way smarter than his time. As a parent I decided that my oldest son could learn to read and write in school and let him be a child until then. When he started school he quickly fell behind the other kids. I will tell you that this only exposed the sheer laziness of the teachers. Most refused to give a helping hand and one even suggested he be tested for a learning disability. After calming my wife down, I politely told the teacher what I thought about her teaching disability. My son just completed grade seven with all A's and B's. Two of those A's being in reading and writing.

Tony I believe that almost any parent with a school age child will tell you, expect to be surprised at the amount of work sent home and what is left up to the parents to do. Some days I was left wondering if the teacher did any teaching at all.

The first year of school is not just for abc's and 123's. It's learning to interact with the other kids. Learning what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Some lessons cannot be taught at home. It's hard to be the center of attention in a room of 30 other kids. Sitting still for and hour and making sure you don't wear your indoor shoes outside! Life lessons begin here. While they may seem trivial, they are the ground work for a persons social skills. Far too often it's the gifted ones who excel in studies and quickly fall behind in their social groups.
So think of it as his first year of friends, recesses and school rules. And he gets to show off his skillz while he's there!

Being Julian's FAVORITE uncle I know he will do just fine. The boy is as charming as he is smart. He's like a world famous hamburger .....everyones gonna like it!!! Right Julian!!

Uncle Scott

Popular posts from this blog

Another Teacher...... Another Rant. Justice Served?

The Dog is the Thing.......

An Update on Yours Truly