Here's your fine.... For Bullying?



Hello my true believing readers, and welcome to another episode of....  That is so Dumb! 

Ok, I take part of that back, the desire is true, and the heart was there, but I don't think it was entirely thought through.  Let me explain. 

Coun. Linda Mosher said it’s time for the municipality to adopt an anti-bullying bylaw so police can issue tickets.  Issue tickets for bullying?  While I think her heart is in the right place, I don't see how this would ever be a productive measure.  Bullying is a broad scope anyway, and this proposed fine will open it up even more. 

How do you prove it? Unless the Officer directly sees it, the "bullying" is open to interpretation.  Who's to say that two kids would lie together to get a fine for some kid they just don't like?  

Maybe they could lump it in with other bylaws that rarely get enforced, like helmets for skateboarders and cyclists.  Because we know how well these are enforced.  

She says that "Alberta and Saskatchewan currently have anti-bullying bylaws which can actually levy a fine to the allege [bully] or also someone witnessing it and I think it’s a great idea".  A fine to someone who witnessed bullying?  Really?  So that leaves the "Witness" with two options.  Get involved and possibly get hurt, or get a ticket.  

Sorry, everyone, I'm struggling here.  I am failing to see where this has any merit or value.  She thinks fines will make bullies think twice....  I know many skateboarders (They will remain anonymous)who have gotten fines, and still skateboard without helmets. 

It still leaves the interpretation open, and it ultimately becomes an argument in court, and the best arguer wins. 

Personally I think that there should be less time spent on this, and more time on better, more realistic and beneficial anti-bullying initiatives.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Teacher...... Another Rant. Justice Served?

The Dog is the Thing.......

An Update on Yours Truly