Leave Poor Eddy Alone.....




Hello True believers!  It time to get controversial, so let’s get to it. 
 I have heard a lot of talk recently about Edward Cornwallis, and how they want to topple his statue in downtown Halifax. It has been referred to as a "colonial Genocidal Statue".  It all relates to Cornwallis, the founder of Halifax who issued a bounty on the scalps of Mi’kmaq men, women and children in retaliation for an attack on settlers.  What I want to say here is, that was well over 260 years ago, and it was a time of war. 

 When Cornwallis arrived in Halifax, there was a long history of war in Acadia and Nova Scotia between the British and the Wabanaki Confederacy (which included the Mi'kmaq). The Wabanaki Confederacy were aligned with the French, who the British were at war with. What is interesting to note here, is that while Cornwallis offered a bounty for Mi'kmaq scalps, the French also offered a bounty to the Wabanaki for British scalps. 

 Did I mention they were at war?  And you know what they say…  All is fair in Love and War. 
 Here is another tidbit, the bounty was not effective. Cornwallis increased the bounty dramatically in March 1751,  but this increase brought in only one scalp in the next four months.  One is too many, but one has to wonder how many the Wabanaki brought in for the French…. 

 One more point of history:  after eighteen months of fighting, uncertainties and second thoughts began to disturb both the Mi'kmaq and the British communities. By the summer of 1751 Governor Cornwallis began a more appeasing policy. For more than a year, Cornwallis sought out Mi'kmaq leaders willing to negotiate a peace. On 16 February 1752, hoping to lay the groundwork for a peace treaty, he repealed his 1749 proclamation against the Wabanaki. The Peace Treaty was rejected by most of the Mi'Kmaq leaders.
 Now, I don't blame them for not signing, but Cornwallis wanted peace. He wanted to end the war. It should also be said, that in the end, it was their French allies that gave their land to the British, it wasn't taken by the British. 

 Our first Prime Minister was a drunk, Louis Riel was considered by some as a dangerous half-insane religious fanatic, Angus L Macdonald believed in, and supported a Military draft in Canada, A Murray Mckay built a bridge on top of Africville land... the list goes on.  We have not removed any of those namesakes, and plenty of people who claimed to be "wronged", still use these amenities every day.
 I am not saying Cornwallis didn't do anything wrong, of course he did.  So did many people, the Mi'kmaq included.  He is honored for the good things he did.  Most importantly he established our great city.

 We do things in War we are not proud of.  Both sides were scalping each other, and who knows how that went. But you cannot set aside the fact that he was the founding father of our city.  Every day, hour minute, you spend in this city, enjoying all its amenities and things to do, are possible because of him.
 I'm willing to bet many people didn't know the facts I stated above.  I know I didn't before writing this. Many people in history have done things that didn't make them a great person at times, but Cornwallis, good or bad, did establish the city of Halifax.  He should still be recognized for that.  If we were to go and change names on things, or remove things that were erected for people who did bad things, it would be a full-time job.  Everyone has a skeleton or two, or five.

 I also take exception to our province, and country for that matter, in its horribly apologetic behaviour. Why are we apologizing for things that happened over 260 years ago? No one alive today requires an apology for this. Further to that, all of those that see to demand an apology, are more than willing to make use of the city, whose founder they abhor.  Isn't that a tiny bit hypocritical? Not that I’m judging, but I’m also not asking/threatening to tear down a statue in our city’s core either. 
 This is all history, and good or bad, we need to accept it.  Our mayor shouldn’t be apologizing, and should uphold the founder of the city for what he was recognized for.  My god, if I spent this much time on things that I felt offended by, I would have to quit my job.  Frankly, this topic offends me.  People who were never personally wronged, but expect someone to coddle and appease them for things that happened 260 years ago, offends me.

 Well now that I’m thoroughly offended, Maybe I’ll call Mike Savage and see if there is something 260 years old that I can protest and tear down.  I’m offended that Prince Edward didn’t like tardiness, and irregular octagon towers offend me, so maybe I’ll protest and tear down the town clock.  It’s only 214 years old, but close enough.

Just Kidding…….

If you liked what you red, Click an ad to support me! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Teacher...... Another Rant. Justice Served?

The Dog is the Thing.......

An Update on Yours Truly